Eureka!

Discoveries in Grade 4

Eureka!

iPad Summer Camp – Project 3 – Teaching with Explain Everything

Welcome back to iPad Summer Camp. If you’re new, check out the introductory post. Otherwise, let’s get into some more fun with our iPads!

Project 3 – Teaching with Explain Everything

In this project I’ll actually be focusing on the students doing the teaching. There are a number of apps out there that allow students to do a screen-capture or screencast, that is, allowing them to create a video of their iPad screen while doing some action. There are lots of applications to do this, but one thing I am aiming to do more of this year is allowing students to show their thinking by doing a screencast.

If you can imagine walking around a math class and asking every student to explain their thinking behind a math problem, that might be quite hard to accomplish in one period. But, to have each kid solve a problem on their iPad while they talk through it not only allows you to see their thinking at a later time, it also gives the student the chance to rehearse and practice their thinking through oral language. Through the explanation they are cementing their understanding and uncovering uncertainties.

Goal: Create a screencast. Mine will be a model for a think-aloud. There are innumerable things you can do with this type of app though, so get creative!

Apps: I’ll be using Explain Everything. There are lots of other screencasting apps, including Show Me, Educreations, and Doodlecast.

Optional Resources:

Getting Started with Explain Everything:

The trickiest thing with Explain Everything is figuring out what all those buttons mean!

explaineverythingtools

There are so many buttons and tools that I could write forever about what to do, but you’re better off just playing around or checking out some of the resources I’ve listed above. The important thing is to think about what you might want to do with this app. As I’ve mentioned, it’s a great way for students to create presentations or to explain their thinking. Here’s an example project I created that I hope to show my students as a model for explaining their problem solving in math.